Hi expat, I'm actually in the UK at the moment, beautiful and sunny in Edinburgh Scotland, currently sitting outside in a warm 21C, feels like a 30C Australian day though, different type of heat. In case you head back this way you can now get 27 months (2 years 3 months) interest free on balance transfers and 17 months (1 year 5 months) on interest free spending. Although that doesn't help you at the moment. I too fell into the exchange rate trap, I brought Aussie dollars to the UK when the £ was strong and got very little for them, very frustrating and I feel your pain!
Sad news for the interest free balance transfer credit cards in Australia the longest you can get is 9 months from Bankwest or ANZ, You could always get 1 pay off as much debt as you can and move to the other, giving you 18 months of interest free time, then there's a few offering 6 months:
Credit cards with interest free balance transfers, comparing cheapest 0% transfer cards.
I can't find a transfer fee on either ANZ or Bankwests websites term and conditions and on a few pages the Bankwest one still says 6 months interest free, so best to talk to someone about that.
NAB offer an interest rate of 1% on balance transfers for 12 months, maybe worth a look too.
Personal Loan option:
If none of these work you can try and personal loan Citibank currently offer 2 year loan on debts up to $30,000 at 5.9%:
Citibank Ready Credit (5.9% p.a. for 2 years)
Citibank Ready Credit - Personal Loan - Citibank Australia
A great way to pay off your debts
Get your finances back on track with Citibank Ready Credit. Take advantage of a limited 5.9% p.a. for 2 years1 and with a line of credit of up to $30,0003 pay off your debts from other credit cards or loans and recharge your spending power.
For everyday expenses or those bigger things in life, simply request a cheque
If you don't have a balance to transfer but you would still like to take advantage of our low interest offer of 5.9% p.a. for 2 years1 for an exotic overseas adventure, new appliances and technology or anything else you want, simply request a cheque to be sent to you once your account is approved.
With no fixed term4, you repay at your own pace and there are no annual, cash advance5 or account-keeping fees.
Ready Credit gives you access to an ongoing line of credit so that you can redraw as your life needs change without having to re-apply.
You also have the choice of accessing your account with a Visa Debit Card for purchases and ATM cash withdrawals, plus a personal chequebook for even greater spending flexibility.
CHAT WITH US NOW
- HOW TO APPLY
Ready Credit - your universal finance facility
- An introductory rate of 5.9% p.a. for 2 years1
- A standard variable ongoing rate of 18.99% p.a.
- Up to $30,0003 credit limit for any purpose
- No account-keeping or annual fees
- No fixed term4. Repay at your own pace
- A flexible redraw facility allows you to withdraw again and again without re-applying
- Visa Debit Card for ATM cash withdrawals with no cash advance fees5 or for convenient in-store or online purchases
- Optional personal chequebook
The wine is on us
Enjoy a free bottle of wine winning every time you dine and pay using your Citibank card at hundreds of partner restaurants across Australia6.
More benefits to suit your lifestyle
Ready Credit gives you complimentary access to a range of discounts and offers through:
- World Privileges7 - worldwide discounts on shopping, travel and entertainment.
- Citibank Travel Program8 - giving you access to exclusive holiday packages.
- Visa Entertainment offers9 - exclusive offers on shows, movies and other events.
Shop with confidence and security10
- Purchase Cover Insurance - protection against loss, theft, or accidental damage over a wide range of new personal goods purchased anywhere in the world with your Visa Debit Card.
- Extended Warranty Insurance - extends the warranty on personal goods, when purchased with your Visa Debit Card.
- Guaranteed Pricing Scheme - if an item you purchase with your Visa Debit Card later goes on sale elsewhere, you may be eligible for a refund of the price difference. Conditions apply.